April News: Healthy Happy Meals, Legionnaires Disease, Big Money Out, Protecting Your Social Media, and Participatory Budgeting Vote
In March, we got big money out and small dollars in city elections, won support from community boards and elected officials throughout Manhattan to stop super tall buildings propped up on empty mechanical voids, and proposed legislation to protect 60 million tourists from attractions that sought to own their pictures, videos and identities.
We also passed legislation to fight obesity and protect public health. Starting next year, healthy beverages (water, 100% fruit juice and low-fat milk) will be the default option for kids meals at all 24,000 restaurants in New York City. Just in time for hot weather, when cooling towers that are the breeding grounds for Legionnaires' disease come online, buildings will finally have to report on their compliance with 90-day inspections meant to thwart the spread of the deadly disease.
We're also working to improve commutes by enforcing bus lanes, holding the MTA accountable for poor bus service, and proposing plan to toll millions of vehicles crossing into New York City to provide relief from traffic citywide.
As we negotiate the city's $92 billion budget I've been advocating for more school seats, a new Hunter Campus for nursing on East 74th Street, and wage parity for our child care workers.
Starting Saturday, March 30, through Sunday, April 7, vote on how to spend $1 million through Participatory Budgeting where anyone 11 years-old and over can vote at our office, at pop-ups, or online.
Join us for Drag Queen Story Hour, get your FREE bike helmet, and help clean up our parks as we celebrate Earth Day.
Happy Passover and Easter for those who are celebrating.
- Healthy Happy Meals Passes
- Legionnaires’ Disease Prevention Law Passes
- We Got Big Money Out and Small Dollars In
- Hudson Yards’ Vessel Social Media Response
- UPDATE: Mechanical Voids Limits Approved by City Planning
- Participatory Budgeting Voting: March 30 – April 7
- Drag Queen Story Hour
- Free Bike Helmet Fitting & Give Away
- Environmental Stewardship Day with Muslim Volunteers
- No-Cost Mammogram Van
- Read My Daily News Op-Ed: A Bolder Plan for Congestion Pricing
- Rallying for Bus Lane Enforcement to Speed Up Buses
- Bus Turnaround Campaign Rally
HOUSING AND OVERDEVELOPMENT
- Stand for Tenant Safety Report Card Issued
- Keynote Speech at Historic Districts Council Conference
- Homelessness: House Our Future
- Landmarking the First Hungarian Reformed Church
- Fighting for School Seats
- Fighting for a New CUNY Campus
- Wage Parity for Early Childhood Educators
- Supporting Mayoral Control of Schools
- Caedmon (Montessori) School Office Visit
- 92Y Cumbia for Kids CASA
- Ben Kallos Chess Challenge
- Marine Transfer Station Opens
- Thank You Our Town: Otty Award Received
- Drivers Licenses for Undocumented Residents
- Fighting For Our Veterans
- Open Data Week
- Cooking with Kallos at GrowNYC Job Fair
EVENTS SPONSORED BY MY OFFICE
- Families for Safe Streets Outreach Program
- College Scholarship for 11th Grade Young Women
- Military Mondays
- The Fortune Society Suit Drive
- Rent Freeze Exemption (DRIE) Clinic