Introduction 1433-2016 Construction Safety Injury and Fatality Reporting and Fines
This bill would require the Department of Buildings to report on all construction accidents that result in an injury or fatality to a member of the public or a construction worker.
A Local Law to amend the administrative code of the city of New York, in relation to requiring the department of buildings to report on all construction incidents that result in an injury or fatality to a member of the public or a construction worker.
Be it enacted by the Council as follows:
Section 1. Section 28-103.21 of article 103 of chapter 1 of title 28 of the administrative code of the city of New York is amended to read as follows:
§ 28-103.21 Incident lists. The commissioner shall, by June 2017 and monthly thereafter, post on the department's website a list of every incident that occurred on every construction site within the city of New York that [resulted in an injury and/or a fatality, either or both of which were reported to the department or of which the department otherwise became aware. Such list shall be updated monthly.] resulted in (i) a fatality to a member of the general public or a construction worker or (ii) an injury to a member of the general public or a construction worker that requires transport by emergency medical services or requires immediate emergency care at a hospital or offsite medical clinic, regardless of whether such incident involved a violation of this code or any other law or rule. Such list shall [identify the] identify, at a minimum, the following information for each incident that the department is required to report on pursuant to this section:
1. The owner and the general contractor of the site where the incident [occurred, the] occurred;
2. A detailed description of the incident, including the nature of the work being performed at the time of the [incident, violations] incident;
3. Violations issued by the department as a result of the incident and to whom such violations were [issued, and the] issued;
4. The number of persons injured and/or killed[. Such list shall also set forth the total number of injuries and fatalities reported to the department or of which the department otherwise became aware that occurred on construction sites within each borough and within the entire city for each of the previous five calendar years.] in the incident, and whether such persons were members of the public or construction workers;
5. If the incident involved an injury, a description of the type of injury;
6. The date and time of the incident;
7. The address where the incident occurred;
8. The number of floors and height of the building involved where the incident occurred or, in the case of a new building, the proposed number of floors and proposed height;
9. If the incident involved a construction worker, the length of time the injured or deceased worker had been employed by their employer at the time of the incident;
10. If the incident involved a construction worker, the number of hours the injured or deceased worker had been working when the incident occurred; and
11. If the incident involved a construction worker, whether or not the injured or deceased worker was a union member.
§ 2. This local law shall take effect immediately.