|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 27, 2014
Council Member Ben Kallos Promotes Start of NYC’s Free Summer Meals Program with #FreeSummerMeals Campaign
New York, NY– Today, on the launch of this year’s New York City free meal program, Council Member Ben Kallos kicked off the #FreeSummerMeals campaign to distribute information and spread awareness to hundreds of New Yorkers.
The New York City Department of Education distributes free meals for children under 18 at parks, pools, community centers, libraries and schools in all five boroughs every weekday from June 27th through August 29th. The program does not require any paperwork, registration or ID.
At the first event to promote the program at the 96th and Lexington subway stop, Kallos and volunteers spoke to dozens of residents and handed out flyers, many of whom were previously unaware of the available free, nutritious meals.
“I want to live in a city where no child goes hungry,” said Council Member Kallos. “When the school year is out, children on free and reduced lunch still need to eat. The #FreeSummerMeals campaign helps residents know the location and times of the free meals, so New Yorkers can feed their children and ensure that they stay healthy.”
In Council Member Ben Kallos’ district, Free Summer Meals Program sites include:
• Holmes Towers - 1780 First Ave. Btwn 92 & 93 Street (9:00-10:00 AM/ 12:00-1:00 PM)
• Samuel Seabury Playground - East 96th Street & Lexington Avenue (1:45 – 2:30PM)
• St. Catherine's Park - East 67Th St. & First Avenue (12:00 - 1:00 PM)
• John Jay Pool - 77th Street & Cherokee Place (9:00-10:00 AM/ 12:00-1:00 PM)
• P.S./I.S. 217 Roosevelt Island - 645 MAIN STREET (8:00 – 9:15AM/ 11:00 – 1:15PM)
Council Member Ben Kallos will work to spread the word through the #FreeSummerMeals campaign all summer. Learn more at www.schoolfoodnyc.org.