Over the past seven years, we have been working together to add more school seats, invest in our parks, improve public transit, and clean up the neighborhood with a new trash can on every corner.
Some highlights of our accomplishments together include:
- Added 1,122 new Pre-K seats and funded 864 new K-8 seats;
- $275 million for the East River Esplanade from East Midtown to East Harlem;
- Opened the Second Avenue Subway, crosstown Select Bus Service, CitiBike, and Ferries for faster commutes;
- Authored the law to put 100,000+ affordable homes back on the market for you to apply for on Housing Connect;
- 1,000 affordable homes built or preserved in the District, including housing for formerly homeless women and children across the street from where I live; and
- Purchased 284 new covered trash cans for every corner.
Thank you for your partnership and please join us to discuss the future at our annual State of the District Address at BenKallos.com/StateOfTheDistrict/2021
Ben Kallos, Council Member, District 5
Make your voice heard by responding to monthly updates at BenKallos.com/Subscribe
HOUSING & THE HOMELESS
NYC Bill Targets Landlords Who Get Tax Breaks, Duck Rent Limits
New York Times
25 Million Applications: The Scramble for N.Y.C. Affordable Housing
“Before this, you had waiting lists and you had folks who might be politically connected with an official who knew buildings that had affordable housing,” said Mr. Kallos.
Hundreds of thousands of affordable homes will be coming back on the market thanks to a law I authored. In 2016, we worked with a whistleblower and ProPublica to bring attention to 15,000 buildings in New York City where owners received tax breaks for building affordable housing but failed to register 50,000 affordable homes. I couldn’t be prouder and hope to help you find affordable housing. Start by visiting HousingConnect.nyc.gov.