The Office of New York City Council Member Ben Kallos, Co-Chair of the Progressive Caucus, is seeking a highly motivated Legislative Director for an immediate opening.
- Passing Legislation: Identify model laws from other jurisdictions; draft legal language with counsel and plain language summaries; secure sponsors and hearings, invite experts to testify; negotiate with relevant city agencies, law department and Mayor; oversee implementation.
- Coalition Building & Leadership: Work with the Progressive Caucus Coordinator and other offices to advance a progressive agenda for our city. Develop coalitions and maintain constant contact with stakeholders to advance land use, legislative, and public policy priorities.
- Research & Drafting Legal Materials, Testimony and Briefs: Review case law to identify legal issues, gather evidence, craft arguments, and present them in legal submissions.
- Open Data & Budget Analysis & Visualization: Identify, analyze and present visualizations of open data and the city budget to show problems alongside proposed policy solutions.
- Land Use Oversight: Oversee committee staff, track agenda of developments, prepare for briefings, liaise with agency and developers, and prepare materials and questions for hearings.
- Liaising with Community: Serve as primary point of contact for designated community groups and areas; attend evening meetings and engage key community issues.
- Policy Intern and Fellow Education: Recruit, interview, and manage graduate students in public policy and law, providing educational opportunities through legal and policy analysis.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated law school graduate with a desire to make a positive difference in the city, with expertise in legal research, data analysis, persuasive writing, and organizing coalitions. They will be attentive to detail and able to give and take feedback. Willingness to work evenings as necessary and an occasional weekend shift, as well as flexibility and a positive, team-oriented attitude are required. The New York City Council is an equal opportunity employer, and all are encouraged to apply.
OUR TEAM: Ben Kallos is a Democrat and co-chair of Progressive Caucus who stands for affordable housing, women’s rights, investing in education, and government that is open, transparent and accountable. Our team values openness, supporting (and joking with) one another, and the willingness to rethink and refine the way we do our jobs to get the best results.
SALARY: Salary is commensurate with skills and experience ranging from $55,000 to $65,000 plus an excellent benefits package including health, dental, optical, life, transit and retirement.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Jesse Towsen, Chief of Staff, Office of Council Member Ben Kallos, Jobs@BenKallos.com.