January News: Hundreds of New School Seats, Millions in Security Upgrades, Cleaner Streets and You are Invited to State of the District 2019
Happy New Year!
Join us as we look back on the accomplishments of 2018 and set our goals for 2019 at our annual State of the District, on Sunday, January 13 at 1PM. RSVP at BenKallos.com/events
We ended 2018 with great news for the district and the city.
After five years of our advocacy for more public school seats, the School Construction Authority now plans to spend an estimated $92.85 million on the Upper East Side for 640 new school seats.
After ten years of advocacy, following the adoption of campaign finance reforms as Ballot Question 1 by 1.1 million New Yorkers on November 6, I authored legislation that was signed into law to bring these same reforms to the upcoming Public Advocate race and to all other special elections through 2021. We are getting big money out of politics and we are doing it now.
In December we continued to clean the neighborhood, expanding new trash cans, adding more tree guards and launching a pilot with Wildcat cleaning services to sweep sidewalks throughout the neighborhood.
We also had the opportunity to cut a ribbon on $2.3 million worth of capital improvements and security upgrades at one of our neighborhood's major Jewish institutions, the 92Y.
State of the District
1/13, 1 PM
1/9 & 1/23, 11AM – 2PM
(By Appointment Only)
- $92 Million for East Side School Seats
- Cleaning Up the Neighborhood with Wildcat Services
- Millions in Security Upgrades for Religious Institutions
- New Campaign Finance Laws to Apply to Public Advocate Special Election
- Ethics Reform to be Adopted by State Legislature
- Public Information to Hold Government Accountable
- Serve in City Government
- Apply to Join Community Board
- Read this Newsletter, It Could Save Your Life!
- Fighting for a Fire Engine for Roosevelt Island
- No Mother Should Have Her Child Ripped From Her Arms
- Hanukkah, Tree Lightings, Caroling and a Nutcracker
- Thanks for Coming to the Holiday Party
- Homeless Day of Remembrance
- Tree-cycling in NYC
- 5-Year Wedding Anniversary
- East River Fifties Alliance Court Battle Continues
- Pushing for Second Avenue Subway Phase 2
- NYC Foam Ban In Effect
- Church of the Epiphany Rector Elected Bishop of Arizona
- StreetsGiving Ride with Transportation Alternatives
- Call for Art Figment! NYC 2019
- Adult Education Program By Make The Road NY
- SNAP Clinics 2019 Lenox Hill Neighborhood House
- Cayuga Centers