March News: $75M for Esplanade, Fight Super Talls, Healthy Happy Meals, Safer School Bus Drop Off and Vote on $1 Million
I am proud to have helped secure $75 million for the East River Esplanade as Co-Chair of the Taskforce with Congress Member Maloney that brings the total public and private investment in our parks to $275 million.
This has been an amazing month for residents winning out over big money from real estate. Voters just elected the first citywide candidate to the office of public advocate with no real estate money under a public campaign finance system I helped create. My office and I have toured Community Boards throughout Manhattan to pass a citywide zoning text amendment to stop super tall towers propped up on empty voids.
We are fighting to protect our children with Healthy Happy Meals legislation, which received overwhelming support at a public hearing, and new legislation we are drafting to put stop arm cameras on schools buses.
This month please consider joining me as I give keynote speeches at the Historic Districts Council or the School of Data and remember that with Participatory Budgeting every resident over 11 years-old can vote on how to spend $1 million.
3/14, 11am – 12pm
Ben Kallos Chess Challenge
3/16, 8:15am – 4pm
3/16, 10am – 2pm
- $75 Million Secured for the East River Esplanade
- Mechanical Voids: Closing the Loophole
- Public Advocate Special Election Won with No Real Estate Money
- Hearing on Healthy Happy Meals
- Protecting Our Children from Reckless Drivers With Cameras on School Buses
- Vote on How to Spend $1 Million in District
- Keynote Speaker at Historic Districts Council’s 25th Annual Preservation Conference
- Open Data Week: Keynote Speaker at School of Data
- Drag Queen Story Hour at the Roosevelt Island Library
- Shred-A-Thon “Erin Go Bragh” Edition
- Ben Kallos Chess Tournament
- Eleanor Roosevelt Gym Petition Reaches 4700+ Signatures!
- Sotheby's Art Show: Thank You!
- Community Board 8 Small Business Student Art Contest
- Spence School Works with Community to Commemorate Historic Remnant
- Apply Now for Over 1,000 Universal Pre-Kindergarten Seats in the Neighborhood
HOUSING AND OVERDEVELOPMENT
JUSTICE AND EQUALITY
- Red Flag Gun Bill Signing with Cuomo and Pelosi
- Marijuana Justice Rally and Hearing
- Just Cause for Fast Food Workers
- The Marine Transfer Station Opens this Month
- Congestion Pricing: Rallying to Safer Streets
GOOD GOVERNMENT & COMMUNITY
- Commission on Public Information and Communications (COPIC)
- Stanley Isaacs Center Awarded $30k Digital Education Grant from Spectrum
- Diversity and Multilingualism in a Megacity
- Thank You for Attending Drag Queen Story Hour at the Webster Library
- Black History Month Celebration
- Lenox Hill Neighborhood House and AARP Tax Prep
- GrowNYC Job Fair
- Avenue NYC Grant Opportunity for Community-Based Organizations
- Sundays at JASA
- College Scholarship for 11th Grade Young Women
- Helpline for Concerned Persons
- Cancer Care: Counseling Support Groups
- Military Mondays