City & State Last Read Top Tweets of the Day by City & State
CUOMO’S CAMPAIGN TO WIN WESTERN NEW YORK: Since losing Eerie County in an otherwise successful run for governor in 2010, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has poured an astonishing amount of time and resources into the region. But will voters care? City & State reports:http://goo.gl/bii6G5
COMISSIONER CHAT: City & State sat down with the heads of two New York City agencies—Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Emily Lloyd (http://goo.gl/MoALON) and Health and Hospitals Corporation President Dr. Ramanathan Raju (http://goo.gl/uJldyi )—to talk about the new environmental and healthcare challenges facing the city and to highlight new de Blasio administration initiatives.
THE ROAD TO SOMOS: You can read City & State’s latest Road to SOMOS newsletter here:http://goo.gl/e9hK3I
NEW THIS AFTERNOON:
* A New York oversight board is investigating the agency that approved a $511 million loan for a new Tappan Zee Bridge, which was rejected almost entirely by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Bloomberg reports: http://goo.gl/tcz0CE
* The state Labor Department said New York City’s unemployment rate fell faster in August than in any month on record, to 7.3 percent from 7.8 percent in July—the lowest it’s been since 2009, The New York Times reports: http://goo.gl/3en7br
* Selim “Sam” Zherka, the Westchester political activist and strip club owner who was a key player in a racketeering lawsuit against Republican gubernatorial candidate Rob Astorino, was slammed with a host of federal fraud charges, the Daily News reports: http://goo.gl/FGjgsd
* Two Albany lawmakers are calling on State Superintendent Benjamin Lawsky to investigate the popular apartment sharing website Airbnb for what they call misleading insurance policies, the Daily News reports: http://goo.gl/mrWdbj
* Plans for a casino in the Town of Tyre—if approved by the state—are moving forward after a Seneca County Justice dismissed a petition from residents opposed to the project, State of Politics reports: http://goo.gl/r5gC1t
* U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder will speak on law enforcement reforms at NYU next week, marking one of his biggest speeches on the topic since the unrest in Ferguson, Mo., the Daily News reports: http://goo.gl/yR6wc3
* After last week’s Democratic primary Zephyr Teachout, who appears determined to keep her finger in New York politics, issued a statement urging voters to reject the constitutional amendment that will change the redistricting process, State of Politics reports:http://goo.gl/WSC0bF
* Assembly Candidate Charles Barron, who hosted Zimbabwe’s repressive President Robert Mugabe at City Hall as a freshman New York City councilman in 2002, would like to repeat the performance in his first term at the state capital, the Observer reports: http://goo.gl/kfxUdR
* While he admits to not having watched Republican rival Rob Astorino’s latest attack ad against him, Cuomo contends that he has not murdered any unicorns, the Observer reports:http://goo.gl/tBJLsv
City & State’s Buffalo Bureau Launch Party is September 23rd at Dinosaur BBQ in Buffalo. For more information or to RSVP: goo.gl/HDy7lJ
HELPING CLIENTS NAVIGATE NEW YORK GOVERNMENT
One-Stop Service & A Strategic Approach
Greenberg Traurig’s Government Law & Policy Team provides a unique skill-set built on real government and business experience. We have a different approach developed from collaboration with government decision makers. We understand key players’ priorities and have an established record of executing “win-win” strategies. Greenberg Traurig understands government. http://www.gtlaw.com/nygov
Ben Kallos ?@BenKallos?: Join us tomorrow for a Tweet Chat on how to open up your local legislature: http://www.opengovfoundation.org/tomorrow-join-the-free-law-founders-tweet-chat-on-opening-your-state-local-legislature-2/ …
Andrew Guomo ?@NYGovGuomo?: I believe that if my opponent can attack me for my corruption, my dishonesty and my hypocrisy, I can attack him for being a Dolphins fan.
Brooklyn Daily Eagle @BklynEagle: John Sampson praises #Brooklyn Dem Frank Seddio: “Wherever Frank goes, I will follow him.” http://ow.ly/BAks2
Chuck Meara Joins M Public Affairs – M Public Affairs is pleased to announce that Chuck Meara, former chief of staff to three New York City Council Speakers, has joined the firm’s NYC office as a Managing Director. Meara’s leadership and insight from over a decade at City Hall builds upon MPA’s track record of developing and executing innovative public affairs strategies throughout New York and the United States. Learn about MPA at:www.mpublicaffairs.com.
* An audit from state Comptroller Tom DiNapoli found that local law enforcement agencies are not always taking immediate action when notified that convicted sex offenders have failed to comply with the state’s Sex Offender Registry Act: http://goo.gl/DBbTwW